Skip to main content
- Dunne, J.P. “Quantitative Analysis” in Haroon Akram-Lodhi, Kristina Dietz, Bettina Engels and Ben McKay (eds) The Handbook of Critical Agrarian Studies, Edward Elgar
- Black, A. 2022. "Employment Creation: Can Labour-intensive Manufacturing Work?" in Mills, G., Jonas, M., Bhorat, H. and Hartley, R. (eds.) Better Choices: Ensuring South Africa’s Future. Johannesburg: Picador Africa.
- Black, A. 2021. "Industrial policy in South Africa" in Oqubay, A., Tregenna, F., and Valodia, I. (eds) Oxford Handbook of the South African Economy. Oxford University Press. Chapter 24.
- Barnes, J., Black, A., and Monaco, L. 2021. "Government policy in multinational-dominated global value chains: Structural transformation within the South African automotive industry" in Andreoni, A., Mondliwa, P., Roberts, S. and Tregenna, F. (eds) Structural Transformation in South Africa: Sectors, Politics and Global Challenges, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Andreoni, A., Barnes, J., Black, A., and Sturgeon, T. 2021. "Digitalisation, industrialisation and skills development: Opportunities and challenges for middle-income countries" in Andreoni, A., Mondliwa, P., Roberts, S. and Tregenna, F. (eds) Structural Transformation in South Africa: Sectors, Politics and Global Challenges, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Black, A., and Yang, C. 2020. "South Africa’s Special Economic Zones as destinations for Chinese investment: Problems and possibilities" in Chris Alden and Yu-Shan Wu (eds) China and South Africa. Palgrave.
- Kaplan, D. 2020. "Challenges and Constraints for Government Agencies Supporting Firm Level Innovation: Some Reflection from South Africa" in Chux Daniels, Mafini Dosso and Joe Amadi-Echendu (eds). Entrepreneurship, Technology Commercialisation, and Innovation Policy in Africa. Springer.
- Yang, C., Wang, Y., Black, A., and Chen, M. 2020. “Evaluating Special Economic Zones in South Africa: History, Performance and Challenges” in Niblock, T., Yang, G. and Zhou, Y. (eds) Area Studies: New Realities, New Conceptions, China Social Sciences Press, Beijing. Chapter 10.
- Markowitz, C., and Black, A. 2019. "The Prospects for Regional Value Chains in the Automotive Sector in Southern Africa" in Scholvin, S., Black, A., Diez, J. and I.Turok (eds) Value Chains in Sub-Saharan Africa: Challenges of Integration into the Global Economy. Springer.
- Morris, M., and Startiz, C. 2019. "Industrialization paths and industrial policy for developing countries in global value chains" in Stefano Ponte, Gary Gereffi, Gale Raj-Reichert (eds), Handbook on Global Value Chains, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham-Northampton, pp 508-522.
- Morris, M., Plank, L., and Startiz, C. 2019."A Different Path of Industrial Development? Ethiopia’s Apparel Export Sector" in Sören Scholvin, Anthony Black, Javier Revilla Diez, Ivan Turok (eds), Value Chains in Sub-Saharan Africa: Challenges of Integration into the Global Economy, Springer, Switzerland, pp 79 -94.
- Dunne, J. P., Lamb, G., and Nikolaidou, E. 2019. “South Africa and its defence industry”. Chapter in Keith Hartley and Jean Belin (eds) The Economics of the Global Defence Industry. Taylor and Francis, London, pp 547-570.
- Brauer, J., Dunne, J. P., and Tian, N. 2019. “Towards Demilitarisation? The Military Expenditure-Development Nexus Revisited” in Matthews, R (eds) The Political Economy of Defence. Cambridge University Press. Chapter 5.
- Kaplan, D., Schroeder, D. 2019. “Responsible inclusive innovation: tackling grand challenges globally” Rene von Schomberg and Jonathan Hankins (eds) International Handbook on Responsible Innovation. A Global Resource. Edward Elgar.
- Ismail, F., 2018. “South Africa and the World Trade Organization”, in Adekeye Adebajo and Kudrat Virk (eds.) Foreign Policy in Post-Apartheid South Africa. Security, Diplomacy and Trade. (London and New York: I. B. Tauris. 2018. Published in association with the Centre for Conflict Resolution, Cape Town, South Africa). Chapter 19.
- Morris, M., Plank, L., and Startiz, C. 2017. "Clothing Value Chains and Sub-Saharan Africa: Global Exports, Regional
Dynamics and Industrial Development Outcomes" in Jodie Keane and Roland Baimbill-Johnson (eds), Future Fragmentation Processes: Effectively Engaging with the Ascendency of Global Value Chains, Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Morris, M., and Levy, B. 2016. "The Limits of Co-operation in a Divided Society: The Political Economy of South Africa’s Garment and Textile Industry" in Anthony Black (eds), Towards employment intensive growth in South Africa, University of Cape Town Press, 2016.
- Black, A., Conradie, B., and Gerwel, H. 2016. "Is there a case for a greater policy focus on agriculture?" in Black, A. (eds) Towards Employment Intensive Growth in South Africa. UCT Press.
- Black, A., and Hasson, R. 2016. "Capital intensive industrialisation and comparative advantage: Can South Africa do better in labour demanding manufacturing?" in Black, A. (ed.) Towards Employment Intensive Growth in South Africa. 2016.
- Wakeford, J. Black, A. and Hasson, R. 2016. "Greening the manufacturing sector" in Swilling, M., Musango, J. and Wakeford, J. (eds) Greening the South African Economy: Scoping the Issues, Challenges and Opportunities. Cape Town: UCT Press.
- Burns, J. Edwards, L. and Pauw K. 2016. "Wage subsidies as a policy instrument to promote employment in South Africa." Book Chapter for SANPAD Book Project on Employment (edited by Anthony Black).
- Edwards, L., and Lawrence, R. 2016. "AGOA Rules: The Intended and Unintended Consequences of Special Fabric Provisions" in African Successes: Modernization and Development, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. NBER Chapters.
- Dunne, J.P. 2015. “Order at Sea and Landlocked Countries in Africa: The Economic Benefits” in Towards Good Order at Sea –African Experiences edited by Francois Vrey and Thomas Mandrup, Sun Press, Stellenbosch, pp115-126. ISBN 978-1-920689-58-2.
- Morris, M., and Staritz, C. 2015. "Apparel and GVCs: The apparel sector - still a path for industrial development in Africa? Dynamics in apparel GVCs and implications for low-income countries" in Michael Tribe and John Weiss (eds), Handbook on Industry and Development, Routledge.
- Kaplan, D. 2015. “The Structure and Performance of Manufacturing in South Africa” in Wim Naude, Adam Szirmai and Nobuya Haraguchi (eds) Structural Change and Industrial Development in the BRICS. Oxford University Press. Chapter 9.
- Kaplan, D. 2015. “Manufacturing in Post-Apartheid South Africa: Performance and Policy” in Jon Weiss and Michael tribe (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Industrial Development. Routledge. Chapter 22.
- Kaplan, D. 2015. “Linkage Dynamics and Natural Resources. Diversification and Catch-Up” in Padmashree, Gehl Sampath and Oyeleran-Oyeynika, Banji (eds) Sustainable Industrialisation in Africa. Palgrave, Macmillan. Chapter 4.
- Black, A. 2014. "The evolution and impact of foreign direct investment into South Africa since 1994" in Bhorat, H., Hirsch, A., Kanbur, R. and Ncube, M. The Oxford Companion to the Economics of South Africa, Oxford University Press.
- Kaplan, D. 2014. "Technology and innovation: performance, policy and prospects," in the The Oxford Companion to the Economics of South Africa, Oxford University Press, edited by Haroon Bhorat, Alan Hirsch, Ravi Kanbur, and Mthuli Ncube, Oxford:UK. Chapter 26.
- Edwards, L. 2014. "Trade Policy Reform in South Africa" in Haroon Bhorat, Alan Hirsch, Ravi Kanbur and Mthuli Ncube (eds) Oxford Companion to the Economics of South Africa, Oxford University Press.
- Dunne, J.P. 2013. “Military Keynesianism” in “Cooperation for a Peaceful & Sustainable World - Part 2” edited by Li Junsheng, Chen Bo and Hou Na, Emerald: Bingley, UK. Pp 117-129.
- Dunne, J.P. 2013. “Armed Conflicts” in Bjorn Lomborg (eds) “Global Problems, Smart Solutions: Costs and Benefits", Cambridge University Press for Copenhagen Consensus. Chapter 1.
- Morris, M. and Kaplinsky, R. 2012. "Chinese OFDI in Sub-Saharan Africa" in Ilan Alon, Marc Fetscherin and Phillpe Gugler (eds), Chinese International Investments, Palgrave Macmillan: UK and New York.
- D'Agostino, G., Dunne, J. P. and Pieroni, L. 2012. "Assessing the effects of military expenditures on economic growth” in Stergios Skaperdas and Michelle Garfinkel (eds) Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Peace and Conflict, Oxford University Press. SBN10: 0195392779. Chapter 17.