We only offer a full research-based Master's degree by dissertation. Students will be registered for either a Master of Business Science degree [CM009] or a Master of Commerce degree [CM010] by dissertation only unless otherwise specified.
We are privileged to say that our selection process is very competitive, and the minimum entrance requirements are detailed below:
- An honours degree or NQF 8 equivalent marketing qualification (with an average mark of at least 65% for all the subjects);
- An honours level (NQF 8 - minimum of 30 credits), Marketing Research course (65% minimum final mark); and
- An undergraduate degree specialising in the Marketing discipline or NQF 7 equivalent.
If this is an avenue you are interested in following, you can apply online and be used under the "full-time studies" tab, even though you can do your Master's part-time.
You will need the following for your application (please also consult the UCT website for a complete list of compulsory documents/requirements):
- Certified academic transcripts
- Evidence of previous academic writing (e.g. honours research project or a peer-reviewed conference paper etc.)
- A research proposal of the topic/area that you are interested in pursuing, including the following sections (maximum of 10 pages from Introduction to Conclusion): Introduction, Problem Statement, Research Question, Objectives and Hypotheses, Rationale and Motivation, Literature Review, Research Methodology, Conclusion, and Bibliography (Note that the proposal document might change or be refined depending on the supervisor that you are assigned to upon successful application)
- International students might be required to provide additional documents (e.g. proof of language proficiency). International students, please refer to this page for all information.
- Motivational letter
- A statement on how you plan to fund your studies.
Questions that students usually ask us include whether they can complete this Master's degree part-time; and whether they must be based in Cape Town to undertake the Master's degree at UCT.
A student can do it part-time, and you do not have to be based in Cape Town if you are happy to meet with your supervisor via Skype/telecom, etc. It is, however, compulsory to be present at UCT (in person) at the beginning of your degree for registration and to present and defend your proposal to a panel of academics. Still, the remainder of your contact time is up to you and your supervisor to finalise.
Please refer to the Commerce Postgraduate Handbook for more information on the programme.