Welcome to the Commerce Faculty at UCT!
The UCT First-Year Campus Onboarding (FYCO) service closed on Monday, 30 January 2023. Please note the following arrangements regarding the collection of student cards and laptops:
- If you have not yet collected your student card, you can do so at the Leslie Social Sciences Building on Upper Campus from 31 January until 28 February 2023. You must collect your card yourself and bring your ID.
- If you opted into the UCT Laptop Programme and have not yet collected your laptop, you can do so at the Sports Centre on Upper Campus from 31 January until 3 February 2023. After that, you will need to go to ICTS on Main in Mowbray.
All first-year students will register during Orientation. This means that you will work through steps 2 and 3 below during Orientation.
Step 1: Attend Orientation
When you accepted your final offer, you would have received an email confirming that you were added to the Commerce Orientation website on Amathuba, UCT’s new digital learning platform.
Please note: Orientation is designed to assist students in making the best decisions regarding their curriculum choices. Registration takes place AFTER participating in Orientation. No first-year student can register unassisted.
Commerce Orientation dates:
- 25 January to 27 January 2023: Orientation for students who are from Cape Town.
(Venue: New Lecture Theatre on Upper Campus)
- 01 February to 3 February 2023: Orientation for all students who are new to Cape Town.
(Venues: New Lecture Theatre on Upper Campus and Lecture Theatre LS2A in the Leslie Social Sciences Building)
Step 2: Choose your degree on Peoplesoft
As a new first-year student, you choose your degree during Orientation. Download the Undergraduate Choosing Your Degree Student Guide.
- Please note: Certain disciplines: Actuarial Science, Quantitative Finance, Computer Science and Analytics, have higher entrance requirements. Before choosing one of these degrees, you must ensure you meet the admission requirements. It will delay your registration if you choose a degree you are not eligible for.
- Actuarial Science: If you have a final offer in Actuarial Science, you can choose this degree. If you do not have a final offer in Actuarial Science, you may only select this degree if you meet the admission requirements.
- Admission Requirements
- Your Guide to Undergraduate Studies in Commerce
- Commerce Undergraduate Handbook
Step 3: Registration
ALL first-year students must attend Orientation in order to register.
All mainstream students register on the last day of Orientation:
- Friday, 27 January 2023: Students who are from Cape Town.
- Friday, 3 February 2023: Students who are new to Cape Town.
You will register on campus, assisted by Orientation Leaders. Further information will be communicated during Orientation. You cannot register at another time, as an Orientation Leader must approve your curriculum before you submit it.
All first-year mainstream students will register via Programme Enrolment (PE). Download the Undergraduate Student Registration Activity Guide: Programme Enrolment.
All EDU students register on Friday, 3 February 2023.
Further details will be communicated at the EDU meeting at 16h00 on Wednesday, 1 February 2023, in Lecture Theatre LS2A in the Leslie Social Sciences Building.
You will register on campus, assisted by EDU Induction Leaders. You cannot register at another time, as an Induction Leader must approve your curriculum before you submit it.
All first-year EDU Augmented students will register via Programme Enrolment (PE). Download the Undergraduate Student Registration Activity Guide: Programme Enrolment.
All first-year EDU Extended students will register via Blank Shopping Cart (BSC). Download the Undergraduate Student Registration Activity Guide: Blank Shopping Cart.
Process to apply to change from Mainstream to EDU after registration
After registration, if you would like to change from Mainstream to EDU, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 12h00 on Monday, 6 February 2023. Please include your student number and the programme you want to change to.